Sunday 12 November 2017

X Factor

Part one is over and done with and I enjoyed it, mostly. The contestants did not try and copy the original versions of George's songs, and all put a twist on the songs or gave them a modern upgrade. Fastlove was almost unrecognizable, but I giggled as I wonder if the artist knew he was singing about crusing for sex? They also found it necessary to change "Bullshit" to "boring!" Ah well. All in all though a great performance.
Rak Su have been one of my favourites every week, yes at almost 50 I still like "That type of music!" But I felt last night was not their best performance and maybe "Faith" with a rap wasn't going to please everyone.  Careless Whisper with a rock them should never have worked, but hell it did! The moment you stop comparing these contestants to George you can enjoy someone else singing one of his songs .. they are not tribute acts, it was thankfully very different.
As expected Social Media exploded with lovers and haters, some where disgusted, horrified and in tears listening to George's songs being demolished. Other like me took it for what it was. A night dedicated to celebrate the music of our favourite much loved artist, and if it did nothing else then at least it got people talking and listening. George Michael was trending all over the the internet, and the night bought his music to the eyes and ears of the younger generation. I think George would have loved it, his music was moving with the times .. he had already been working on a modern twist to Fantasy, the fans loved the new version released recently .. the only difference with last night was that he was not the singer, a difference that some simply could not cope with.
Part 2 tonight, I'm looking forward to Lloyd and Grace, but maybe like last night I'll be pleasantly surprised by artists that I won't be expecting to do justice to a George song.