Saturday 6 August 2022

Hairy Boys?

The boys are growing really quickly and are 10 days old now. These were taken a couple of nights ago. Collars have already had to be changed for larger sizes, wow
I predict green and yellow (was orange) to be L/c's. Yarna has had two litters previously, to Fransisco, and Chase. Fransisco is Orin's father and Chase his half brother on his fathers side. Strangely, we know that Fransisco produces long coats, and with Yarna obviously carrying the gene you would have expected some in her previous litters. Having L/C's these days is not the disaster it was for some of us 10 years ago, with the coat variety now accepted for showing and breeding there is no need to discount L/C's from your choice of puppy.
I'm going over old ground, but I need a refresher anyway. If both parents are S/C and carry the L/C gene then an average of 25% of the litter will be L/C's. Yarna lost two puppies so that makes it about right. Arya had 11, 3 were L/C's. If one parent is L/C and the other carries the gene then an average of 50% of the litter will be L/C. If both parents are L/C's all puppies born will be L/C's. If both, or one parent does not carry the gene, even if mated to a L/C there will be no L/C puppies, but 50% of the progeny will carry the gene. So if I mate Siska to Zalu then it's likely that I'll have a lot of L/C's (an average of 50%) - I presume with Siska's profuse coat that she does carry the gene. I don't think I'll bother testing, as I can't see I'd change my mind on the choice of sire whatever the result! My personal preference is always for a S/C puppy, but I would never say no if the best was a L/C, here it's come close but it just hasn't happened yet!