Sunday 7 August 2022

Boys Will Be Boys

I was chatting last night with a friend, well the conversation started about the garden looking wonderful. I told her it was because only Loki and Zeus go out there. She suggested that was because they were "special boys." Well actually that's not quite the truth and being in team Zeus she was shocked to hear it I think. 
I keep Loki away from the main pack around the house, though he goes out with most of them. He's still not 100% on his feet, but mostly I don't want him knocked within the confines of the house, so taking turns in the garden with Zeus is to protect Loki for injury, but they are NEVER together. Zeus is very aggressive towards the other males in the house, including Loki. I can mix the other three, but not Zeus. I fear what would happen if he got together with any of them. Orin and Zeus particularly hate each other, but of course that's only to be expected, same sex siblings are a nightmare. I find myself back exactly where I said I never wanted to be again, back where I was with Dexi and Simba, Jezi and Ziva, praying there is never human error and that the siblings never get together. All my males get on fine with others outside the home, but there is tension and hatred here between Zeus and the other in the home.
Zeus was Ok with Nico for quite a long time, but as Nico got older Zeus must have picked up on a weakness before we did and the situation between them became unstable. Nico seemed to show no outward signs of ill health and reacted predictable aggressively towards Zeus' challenges, still with Nico generally being non-confrontational and Zeus on a lead we managed and coped on the walks. Zeus is lovely, everyone sees how happy he is, he's beautiful beyond compare, but having him back here is not ideal. Rehoming him to the right people would have been better than this for everyone, probably including him. It's too late for that now, we adore him and we manage - let's pray there's never a door that doesn't shut properly or a gate left ajar, let's pray human error doesn't let anyone down! 
Bench Buddies 
Ross and Orin