Saturday 20 August 2022

Baby Cakes

When I first got into showing, I was told that you pick your puppy at 6 -8 weeks and then if testicles are present in males that you don't then change your mind. I was interested to see a newcomer to showing telling another that she should keep two till 12 weeks, then choose! Hmmm, I was under the impression that by that age they can look anything like a cross between a hare and a kangaroo, but there you go!
I picked Sammi and Orin before 6 weeks, I was smitten with both. I remember asking Orin when he was just a tot, "please let it be you?" I'd said something similar to his mother when she was no more than 3 weeks old. But I always kept my options open and waited to decided at the right age that the puppy with the most show prospects would stay, I was just lucky with Sammi and Orin that my heart dog was right for Blanik. Being the only females in their litters, with Kaiah and Tali there was no choice, but both turned out cracking girls. I almost didn't keep Asha, I was influenced a little too much by colour and her sister Seren was the better colour. Eventually I put my brain in gear and kept conformation over colour! 
So you make your choice and you stick to it .. some go off, they usually come back. A baby Siska was promising, a 6-month-old Siska was stunning but a 9-month-old Siska was a lot less pleasing to the eye (bottom left) and I was starting to doubt the decision I made when she was in the nest, but now baby cakes is really coming together. Since she turned 12 months she's got better and better and has been in the first two at most of her champ shows. I was happy with her 3rd at Crufts, and oh yes, of course at Sheffield and The National she wasn't placed ..  but neither judge liked Orin either! Though I'm chuffed with every win, and her seconds, I think her wins at Blackpool under Gary Gray and yesterday under John Cullen have been more significant. When breed judges see the prospects in her then it means more. Two more Champ shows this year - lets hope she can keep up the good work!