Saturday 31 March 2018

WOW - Look At This

GSD conformation show 1926 with Judge Max von Stephanitz.
the founder of the breed
A lot has changed, a lot hasn't.
Three of the colour combinations are seen here, black and tan, sable and 2 maybe three bi-colours (Hard to tell on one in this photo). I can't think when I last saw a bi in the show ring in the UK.  Most of the dogs are obviously being attracted and are standing forwards on the leads. There are no short stumpy legs and heavy fronts on deep chests, flappy pasterns and dippy backs.. so much for the "English Alsatianists" saying their type is true to the ancestors of the breed.
Coat quality has changed dramatically, mind you I've seen that over my life time too. Rear angulation has changed with a lot of dogs now being overdone and I would agree unsound. Shame. But in my opinion a free standing German bred dog isn't that far removed from the origin of the breed is it!