Thursday 10 November 2022

Training, Adverts And Friends

 Well after 24 hrs grace we are back to wind and rain, and it looks like it's set for another 2 days before improving conditions, for a few days anyway. 
Last night was ring craft night, and it was full of GSD's, what could be better? I didn't take a dog as I was doing the first class and had offered to hold a puppy so a friend could go over the dogs in the second half. I take doing the class seriously, I want to help the members get the best out of their dogs. If I find a fault in the handling or the dog I tell the owners, I feel it is my responsibility to do so. Years ago I remember telling Audrey and Alec that their Apollo son Lexi had a mouth fault, at the time it really was a case of shoot the messenger, it made me wary for a time of telling people if something wasn't right. Having bought Lexi from the breeder after he'd already been shown a couple of times, well of course the breeder knew, he just opted to be dishonest and not tell them! I also remember the Flat Coat with an undershot jaw, the owners were incredibly thankfully that I had told them and assured me that I had saved them a lot of money in entry fees and fuel. Orin's son from the second litter has dreadful back legs at the moment, I've only seen one as bad before and that was Dexi whilst he was with Gwyn - so yeah given time he should come right, but I still did mention it. 
I was sent an advert from Our Dogs a couple of nights ago. The owner advertises her "Alsation" following her recent wins, yes she is of "that type" but my word in an advert for the dog press of the UK they didn't even make sure that they had the correct spelling for what they chose to call the breed. Listen I'm no academic but if I was advertising in the dog press I'd check, check again and ask a friend! Being nosey, I then went onto the KC site to check the breeding and discovered the bitch has a COI of 42.6% - her grandfather on both sides is the same dog and further back the bitchlines are doubled up excessively. There are dozens of untested dogs and one set of elbow sores of 2/2 - oh hang on that's the grandfather who's there twice, and his COI is 27.3% (that means that over a quarter of his pedigree is doubled up - the same dogs over and over- linebreeding to a dangerous level) I'm not sharing this advert, or the photo of the dog, but if you want to see it, ask me! Talking of adverts, I'm really pleased with mine in the breed magazine and proud that it's my own work. It has printed well and the dogs look fab. I may ask for it to go in again for the Crufts magazine. 
I hear my friend Gary isn't doing too well, he's now in a lot of pain and not eating. It's dreadfully sad, another that has smoked himself into an early grave. His family and friends will all be devastated when the day comes, it all could have been so different. With the circumstance so similar, I just can't stop thinking of Debra, and strangely our mutual friend is in one again. As Debra used to say, leave her be to come round, she will when she realises she's pushed everyone away again. I must confess I've messaged twice, but no reply, not even with her knowing everything that's gone/going on in my life right now. Debra was right, it's all about her and when she gets in one she pushes the ones who have been there for her away. Still I am hurt there's not been a word about Junior, kind of proves it's a one-sided friendship - all on her terms and that's not genuine friendship is it!