Monday 28 June 2021

Zeus Just Gets Better

One of the observations from Zeus' previous owner was that he was wilful and independent, he was happy to do his own thing and make his own decisions. I agree, though of course this was not her reason to rehome this dog, I hope. I'm pleased to say things are starting to change. He has always been affectionate and playful in and around the house but without doubt he considers his options when he's outside.
I've mentioned before his love of the front garden, it seems to have been his favourite place since his return. Whist I clean the kitchen, bathroom, wash the feed bowls etc in the morning I leave him out there to do his own thing. I've no concerns with him with the cats now, and I doubt he'd consider the remake of The Great Escape! I used to pop out and make sure he was Ok and behaving ... now that has changed, he now pops in to check on me, and he follows me about from room to room.
Zeus is wary of passing Orin when O is in his crate, to be hones O is naughty about it. Zeus is very non-confrontational, he seems to have no malice in him. I used to have difficulty actually getting him to pass, but he has got braver and more obedient. Getting him in from the garden used to be a nightmare, now he does as he's told though sometimes the tone of voice has to change! Getting him from the yard is equally easy, but we do need the ball to get him out of the field. I still tie it to the long line and take hold of the end a few times during his time out there. The choice is still his, he can if he wants too, drop the ball and run off, so far he hasn't, and he accepts when I say it's the end of the game. This morning I decided not to take the ball in the top field, I could always go and get it if I needed it, but another gold star, I didn't! Actually I got quite emotional as he instigated play and then came to sit with me for a cuddle ... this is the first time he has done this of his own accord in the field, yeah I think he quite likes me, I was quite emotional.