Saturday 5 June 2021

This Is Heartbreaking

Loki's mobility is no better. He was out of the crate when I got up this morning, lying behind the door. He had a drink but can't walk unaided at all, he hasn't peed since he came back which concerns me. He seems to try to cock his leg, realises he can't then gives up on the idea. I added the meds to white fish for breakfast but he wouldn't eat it, sardines in tomato sauce on top did the trick. I guess it's early days, but it's heartbreaking to see him. A little comfort is someone who had a similar incident with a foster dog messaged me, it took 4 or 5 days for the dog to get back on his feet and then they were able to manage him with pain relief. 
It's just so hard to get your head around it, we had no idea that he had a problem. He showed no signs of pain, no signs of weakness, he was seemingly a fit health happy dog. Even 24 hrs ago there was nothing to see. Now he can't even take a step without falling over. 
Trying to stay positive is hard, but for Loki I have too. The tears are behind closed doors only. In Loki's company we are happy and supportive, going down to tickle his belly when he falls over rather than showing upset is far better for him. His tail was going ten to the dozen as I hand fed him the last morsels of his breakfast. Hand feeding is a no no here, but when someone is ill rules go out of the window. 
I'm not sure where to put him now, it would be unfair for him to be with the pack, but Nico is in the next room, so I guess it's kitchen or bedroom. Of course to make matters worse Kaiah is in season and Orin is getting ideas above his station ... I just hope Loki will have improved by the time the need separating. 
We'll get through it, we have to!