Wednesday 12 May 2021

Zeus And The Cats

I often think about what I should write, and sometimes I have so much to say I don't know where to start. I try and give a balance, honestly I do, but I have to write it as it is. 
A month on and I'm still waiting for Zeus to do something unacceptable, I'm still waiting to see the alter ego, but instead he gets better and better. Yesterday morning he was running and playing in the top field, I called time over and he ran into the yard. My heart sank when I realised I hadn't closed the door into the living room and of course he'd gone straight in .. OMG Jamie! Now the other cats run in panic, Jamie doesn't do running, or panic to be honest! I came flying in through the door to find Zeus sniffing the sleeping cats. He was so gentle that Jamie and Junior hadn't even woken up. Calming myself down before addressing the situation, I praised him quietly and then told him to leave them. He jumped onto the sofa and I was then able to praise him again. 
Last night as we were going for our10.30pm walk Perry ran in front of us, "Leave it" was instantly followed by "good lad" as there was no tension on the lead. Only 3 weeks ago he'd nearly pulled my arm out of its socket trying to chase Isla. On the way back Archie was sat by the front garden gate, again I was proud that "leave it" could be followed by a change of tone and a "good lad!" I couldn't have set up a better cat training exercise as again Perry crossed out from under the van towards the front.. "Good lad."
This morning Zeus ran free in the top field and came flying down for breakfast. No longer is it "catch me if you can," now it's "move I'm coming in!" As I opened the door into the middle room Choo ran straight past into the living room, "Leave it .. Good lad!"  I'm never complacent with a clever dog, but today I sure am proud!