Monday 11 February 2019

Poor Kaiah

An amazing Spring like day and I didn't take any photos on the first 2 walk, and I only took this photo of Kaiah on the third walk. Something is not right with her, I'll try and explain ....
With all the dilly dallying on the walk yesterday Kaiah was getting a little impatient and kept coming back full pelt and launching herself at me. I'm considering now that on one of these occasions she landed badly and has hurt her back. After a sleep yesterday afternoon she got up to go out and gave one loud shriek then sat down, when she got up the dogs immediately sniffed where she had sat. I wondered if she was in season as she is due, as I lifter her tail she showed signs of discomfort. Her bottom was a right mess and I can only conclude that for some reason she had released her anal glands. We washed her bottom three times with hibi scrub and to be honest after that she seemed Ok.
This morning Kaiah was full of beans, racing around and wrestling with Ross, but when it came time to go for a walked she jumped up at me and shrieked again. She sat down and looked quite sorry for herself. I put a little pressure on her spine and I believe she is showing pain in her croup area of the spine. I must admit I'm quite concerned, I gave her some metacam but if this continues beyond tomorrow she will need to see a vet. I do think she released her glands due to a sudden pain and I'm really hoping this is just a twist or a pulled muscle.
I wasn't sure about walking her, but decided leaving her at home may well cause more problems. I made sure Ross had his kong in his mouth before he came out of the van, that way it limited the OTT behaviour from both. Kaiah was as normal as ever on the walk, but I made sure there was no racing, fighting or jumping. I can't help but think of darling Seffe now as she had a similar symptoms and a spine injury a long long time ago ...