Thursday 14 February 2019

Bloody Parvo

The parvo cases are still the subject of conversation in the dog world. It's so hard not to over react. I've contacted 2 vets today and asked if it's safe to attend dog shows and training classes ... this is what I was told ..
Vet 1
No we haven't heard of anymore reports since our initial post. As long as your dogs vaccinations are up to date you should be safe to attend dog shows and classes. It is more unsafe for unvaccinated dogs to attend these types of events.
Vet 2
NOBIVAC DHP - for the active immunisation of dogs to reduce clinical signs of disease caused by canine distemper virus infection, to prevent clinical signs and viral excretion caused by canine parvovirus infection, onset of immunity one week after vaccination, duration of immunity three years, if dogs had complete vaccination, at least a minimum of 1 week since finishing the course, should be ok and adult dogs are up to date with boosters, no worrys.

Like most people I have not been giving my dogs boosters, the side affects of over immunisation are usually greater than the risks of the conditions. But Parvo is a nasty condition and currently we can't be too careful, but running out to vaccinate our dogs could well make matters worse as "DHP causes an immunosuppression, so if the pup is exposed to Parvo just after vaccination (not difficult being as Parvo is everywhere) and then developed Parvo, it is the multivalent vaccine which is to blame"..  Of course there is as much risk of you or I bringing it home by walking in town as there is of a dog picking it up at a show.
I was under the impression that these vaccinations lasted about 7 years, reading on line seems to confirm this. Here is just one post .."Even more exciting is the task force has acknowledged that in the case of the non-rabies core vaccines, immunity lasts at least 5 years for distemper and parvo, and at least 7 years for adenovirus. Hopefully these new guidelines will help more dog owners understand the long-lasting effect of those puppy shots!" This confirms 5 years, as I said other say 7.
On Saturday I have Ross and Loki entered at a show, they should both be fully covered .. strict hygiene when I get home should give me further peace of mind.  On Sunday I have Asha and Sammi entered, I may give this show a miss as obviously Asha hasn't had a vaccination in 10 years. I would hope her immunity would be pretty good, but I wouldn't like to take the chance!
At the moment I think I will go Saturday, but give Sunday a miss. Of course this is subject to change if there are anymore reported cases. In my years of showing I don't remember so many cases countrywide .. saying that the cases reported since mid January to date are about 10 .. and if it wasn't for social media would we really know it was all going on?