Friday 9 September 2016

The Packs Are Adjusting

Dogs are so amazing aren't they. Two days after the loss of Finlay, Nico and Jezi have settled into the new slightly adjusted routine. Nico has been moved into the bedroom overnight. He's now the oldest male here so it's his right to have this privileged. He's quite and settled all night, though he did hope we were getting up for breakfast at 6.15am .... that was the time I was getting up for work, er no, not anymore mate! These two are so focused on each other I guess they hardly notice the old man's not there, if only it was so easy for us!
A month after the loss of Mikey and it's not as easy for the other pack, well for Loki anyway. A two year old dog has been thrown into the position of being the only male in the pack, and at his age, he's not really ready. This breed is slow maturing, with three years being "mature," so currently Loki is a teenager with a harem of women to care for. Loki and Mikey always got on well, with Mikey's rule being very fair. He chose to have Loki besides him and only really told him off when he was completely OTT. Yeah they were good friends and allies.
Loki behaviour has changed, he seems a little stressed at times. He's quite a sensitive dog anyway and he's the first to pick up on me being off colour. He's not eating that well and is very clingy with me, wanting to stand with me or be around me on every available occasion. The best way to get him to eat is if I'm there with him, if I leave him with his food he tends to leave it. A bit crazy really, I can't explain it and it's only been going on since we lost Mikey. I guess he really is missing the strength and back up of the mature male. Then there's the crate issue, he's still using the small crate and Mikey's huge crate lies empty!
The girls attitude towards Loki has also changed. One of them is continually playing with him, a lot of the time it's Asha, but even Tali takes a turn occasionally. Why? Well I can only think that they are trying to promote him .. help him become the stronger male they need. They will be far more aware of his youth and weaknessess than we are, it's only to their advantage that he becomes the mature male they need .. and quickly.
Pack behaviour fascinates me, I feel we are learning about them and from them constantly. Repeating myself I just wish I could ask them the questions ....