Monday 6 September 2021

Rehoming Or Just Getting Rid?

Lia 
 A couple of years ago we welcomed a new show exhibitor to our circle. Though the dog she was exhibiting was not our type we made her feel welcome. It's always great to have young blood coming into the breed. Entries have dropped so dramatically in all breeds over the years that you wonder about the future of our hobby. I remember Dexi in a class of 33 at a breed Ch show in the late 90ies, now some General Champs only attract that many entries for the breed throughout all classes now. 
Anyway new person, the great welcome at the shows was followed with Facebook friendship and advice should she need it. The first messenger conversation came when she had been and bought a male puppy. On bringing him home she realised he had a hernia and was concerned. I told her that I wouldn't worry, but the breeder should have told her. (I'd never heard of the breeder) Days later she took him to the vets, he told her the pup had one testicle and a heart murmur. She had told the breeder she wanted a puppy to show, this could never be a show dog so she returned him. 
By now she was doing well with the bitch and was given support and encouragement from all quarters of the breed, so why did she then buy a puppy off an internet site without seeking help and advice? The puppy was nice enough but was never going to be a show winner ... I heard that he was "given" to a friend! Now I'm starting to feel uncomfortable, 2 gone within months. The next to arrive was the son of her non-standard coloured dog, he didn't stay either. It's been about 12 months since I've chosen to have any contact with this lady and I heard yesterday that she has passed the bitch on now as well, she was apparently "Too Needy!" It's all left me a little speechless really, makes me feel like I won't bother again ... but of course I will, I can't blame the majority for the actions of a few. 
Jake 
I'm not against rehoming dogs, sometimes it's in the dogs best interest to be removed from a situation. Lia thrived with Frank and Linda, young Jake was all the better for being taken away from Dexi ... Nico came to us as it was a better life for him here, Zeus returned as things were not working out with him with his family. We shouldn't be too quick to judge, and I still think I'm being selfish keeping Zeus really. Here he shares time, someone else could give him all the time, but truth is I'm too possessive of him now to let him go anyway. He's happy and we both adore him. As I said I'm not against rehoming in the dogs interest, but ....Need I say more?