Friday 30 April 2021

Zeus Is Still Here

Well what a day! After laughing it off I was then in tears and need to share, so my first port of call was my puppy buyers. I had a home lined up for Zeus through a GSD friend. I saw photos of the garden, the house and chatted at length to him. He had lost his 9 year old boy a short while back and everything seemed ideal for Zeus, no cats, no sheep and an experienced, sensible man. He was coming for him tomorrow, I was giving him one of our cages and everything was ready apart the contract. I was asking no money for him, but a donation from both of us to GSD Welfare was agreed upon. Zeus is not a puppy, but I still need to protect him and hope that the owners honour the contract. 
Anyway that's where it all fell flat on its feet. They felt my contract was unreasonable and that the dog would never be truly theirs. What? Does it say that?
"This is to confirm that _ _ _ has today been transferred to my/our ownership. It is agreed that in the event of me/us being unable to keep the dog/bitch for whatever reasons, then the original breeder, shall be given first option to repossess the dog/bitch without liability for any monies to be returned to me/us. It is understood that the original Breeder is then at liberty to make any arrangements that are considered necessary for the future of the dog and that should he/she be sold to a third party, any monies received by the original breeder less any charges for veterinary treatment, boarding fees and/or keep will then be returned to me/us. I/we confirm that I have read and had a full explanation of all the detail and meaning of this contract prior to purchase and fully understand its purpose and reason. I/we agree to abide by the terms in this contract and provide the dog with a happy loving home and to take full responsibility for the welfare of the dog. I/we also confirm that I/we are purchasing this dog for myself/ourselves and not as agents for a third party. I/we will be in breach of contract should this dog be given or sold to any third party without the consent of the Breeder, which may result in legal proceedings against me/us."
This is my standard puppy contract, and it's purpose is to protect the buyer, myself and more importantly the dogs. (The warranty and disclaimer is set out by Jusice For Dogs)  I don't know what you would find unreasonable in it? The dog does change ownership but it gives everyone security that should it go wrong then the dog NEVER ends up in rescue, he comes back here. I breed them, I bring them into the world and I could not live with myself if I didn't take responsibility for them for the rest of their lives. My priority is my dogs. Thank god that my puppy owners honour the contract to protect the dogs, whether legally binding or not. Anyway there we go, so Zeus is still looking for a home,(with a donation to GSD welfare only) Show homes have already been offered, probably with lots of money involved ... but he is my priority and I have turned them down. He is a wonderful dog, we've seen no wrong in him here, he's a loveable clown and he deserves a sofa not a kennel.