Monday 19 April 2021

A Future For Zeus

Steve and I have talked, thought and talked some more and we both feel the Zeus is ready to find another home. In some ways it would be easy to keep him here, we've seen no malice, no aggression, to be honest other than some annoying puppy behaviour we've only seen a pleasant happy dog. When I went to pick him up I guess I was expecting a Simba; Simba was a victim of poor ownership and returned to us in 1999. We considered him unsafe to rehome but we got on a treat with him. I worked hard on him, even showing him and walking him off lead on the mountain with the bitches. We kept him safe, and he stayed till he died a very old man in 2008. (He was almost 13) Zeus is nothing like Simba, though I do not dismiss anything I've been told, all those factors are very important when considering rehoming and the right people for Zeus.
I believe that Zeus deserves more than we can give him. He is no trouble here, but I have to put his needs first. He sleeps in the crate in the kitchen, and has to spend part of his day in the kennel where he gets frustrated watching the others play in the yard. Zeus doesn't deserve that, he wants no more than to be part of the fun and frolic, but my boys will never accept that. Sammi loves him, Ziva as ever tolerates his company. 
Zeus is very interested in livestock and with a poor recall that concerns me greatly here. I also do not trust him with cats, though I think that could be doable with a steady cat like Jamie, though obviously I'm not willing to risk the boys ... Edit .. I momentarily forgot Isla 💖
What I want for Zeus is a pet home, he is very much a pet dog with a friendly playful character. He would benefit from an experienced breed or large dog owner, he would also benefit from the company of an older bitch of roughly the same size as him. He loves other dogs, but becomes totally obsessed with them when he gets the chance to play. Sammi plays with Zeus but when she wants to get on with other interests she has to cope with him following her about, she doesn't mind so much really! 
So what do I want for Zeus, well the perfect home of course. An experienced person who could instinctively and correctly react to any issues that may show in different situations. Someone with another dog, preferably an older bitch, a large secure garden and someone who can give him at least one decent daily walk. A home without cats would be preferred. He deserves to be a pet dog, living indoors, a kennel life would not be a consideration for Zeus, well not for any Blanik. So now I guess we'll start putting the feelers out and carefully consider any offers of a home for him.