Wednesday 21 April 2021

Zeus Is Itchy

Sometimes dogs have seasonal itches and we treat them with Evening Primrose Oil, Coconut oil or other natural products when we can. Zeus' previous owner informed me that he was itchy at about 4 months old, but I have to admit that until recent correspondence I was not aware that the problem was persisting. (Knowing me maybe I've forgotten!) I've looked back and it seems that he was being treated with Malaseb baths at the time but she informs me that more recently he's had nexguard. Both products concern me as they are chemical. We used Malaseb for Ring Worm treatment at the rescue centre, and you may recall John's dog Kai had some small seizures which were attributed to long term use of nexguard. 
So I have a plan and hope I can put it all in force before the end of the week. I've already received some "Non Stinky Stuff" (Yes that's what it's called) and have received some advice on how best to use it in his case. They recommend mixing 2 teaspoons of Non Stinky with 4 teaspoons of Shampoo Base and using this mixture to bathe him. I need to make sure the coat is soaking wet, rub the mixture between my hands and then massage this all over. Then once a day use the Non Stinky in the food, one teaspoon (5ml) once a day should be enough. I'll start mixing the supplement in tonight and then bath time tomorrow.
Zeus has been raw fed, lots of people believe this to be the best way of feeding. I'm not convinced, and to be honest I've no experience or knowledge to continue feeding him this way. I've ordered him a bag of Arden Grange White Fish and potato. Hopefully these changes will improve things, if they don't then I guess we may need to do allergy tests to find out exactly what is causing the problem.