Sunday 4 April 2021

Isla And Asha

 What a day of overwhelming emotions, I just don't know where to start. Asha wasn't well this morning, she had messed her bed but had no energy to get out of it. I got her up, Steve cleaned her whilst I changed her bedding and then we let her go back, as was her wish. She turned her nose up at breakfast and therefore I knew we had serious issues. I took her temp and it was 39.8, too high. As I went to call the vet Steve took Siska to the garden. Thankfully I got Ken vet on the end of the line and he suggested antibiotics for Asha to get her temperature down first. He said I could collect them in an hour.
I went out to tell Steve what was going on, Where the bloody hell was he now? I called him, he was just outside the fenced garden on "The Boncan." He responded ... something Isla here. "What?" I shot out through the gate to see him trying to lure her out from the trees, "Grab her" I screamed. He later said he hadn't as he was scared of spooking her, I'm less tactful and though Junior hindered the procedure I grabbed her by the scruff of the neck. From the moment she was in my arms she started purring and rubbing her face against my face, but getting her into the house was my priority. I cuddled her so tight, honestly I couldn't let go, tears running down my cheeks, I was overwhelmed with emotion. Isla had always been Steve's special princess so I reluctantly handed her over and went to get food for her. Bless her she was starving. Isla is quite thin, though not skeletal, she covered in knots and was that hungry that she pinched an eaten half a cheese bloomer! She's giving all the indications that she's over joyed at being home, she's craving attention and just wants to be cuddled.
I remember the last time I saw her so well. Tish and I were sitting out in the garden on a lovely sunny Spring afternoon. It was 13/5/20. The K kids were due to leave the next day and Tish was here saying goodbye to them. Isla was lying on the wall and we talked about her, Tish asked if she could stroke her? I remember saying "yes, but you'll have to go to her she won't come to you," as was her nature. I fed the cats at 5pm and again at 9.pm, but with the chaos of puppies I don't know who was there and who wasn't! On the 14th Isla did not turn up for breakfast, but I was used to that. I remember looking down to the road to see if Sarah was on her way and giving Isla a couple of shouts ... Nothing. 
Days of crying went into weeks. I wondered the fields and mountains calling her, but she never came. I think when Archie came to us in September I had finally accepted that we would never see posh cat again. Even this Friday as we drove back from Bangor I saw a LH Smoked sitting on a windowsill in Rhosgadfan, I was momentarily choked with emotion. The not knowing is always the worst. 
Where has she been? We'll never know. From her hunger and condition I can't imagine she's been sitting on Auntie's lap in front of a fire. If she'd been locked in somewhere she would have died, unless it was over run with vermin. I've always dismissed the idea that she would have voluntarily got into a vehicle with strangers, she's not a Jamie ... but I still have no answers and it's as feasible as any other suggestion. Truth is we'll never know! 
Asha hasn't yet responded to the medication yet, but of course we'll see what tonight and tomorrow brings. Currently, she is very poorly and I can't help but think that maybe this time there is no way back for her. If she's not starting to respond by tomorrow morning then we have to seriously consider what is the very best that we can do for Asha. Come on Asha .... you can do it.