Monday 12 October 2020

Time To Neuter?

I was thinking today that the bitch puppies from the K litter will now be coming close to an age when they may be coming into season.  I've had bitches have their first season at 6 months, other have gone to 13 months and beyond. Please message me if you have one of the girls and I can help you get through the season. 
Though I have no problem with neutering dogs and bitches I beg of the owners to wait until they are at least 2 years old. In my opinion the neutering of males is usually unnecessary and some behavioural problems begin or increase after neutering. Removing a dogs testosterone often has adverse effects and careful consider should be given to everything before proceeding with neutering. Don't just listen to your vets who mostly promote early neutering, do your research. 
I can understand that living with entire bitches is hard work, and that some can have periods of being very hormonal. I always spay my bitches, but not until they are 5, or 6 years old. The risk of pyometera is higher in older bitches, but I guess if I didn't want them to have a litter then I would spay them at 2 - 3 years old, but no sooner. Vets are so keen to neuter everything at a young age, but recent research proves the risk are greater than the benefits. The sex hormones are needed to close the growth plates, removing them by neutering before an animal has finished growing leads to greater risks of bone/joint abnormalities, like Hip and Elbow dysplasia. 
I've "borrowed" the next 2 paragraphs from google... 
"Several studies have suggested that sex hormones may also influence the development of cranial cruciate ligament rupture in dogs. Castrated males and spayed females are significantly more likely to develop CCLR compared with intact dog. 
Spayed females have been shown to have a higher incidence of transitional cell carcinoma, osteosarcoma, and cardiac tumors compared with intact females. Compared with intact dogs, castrated males have been shown to have increased development of the aforementioned cancers and prostatic carcinoma."