Tuesday 6 October 2020

The Size Thing

Loki B and Bruce
Merlin and Orin
***
On the private "K" litter chat group we recently talked about the current size of the boys in the litter, they are now 6.5 months. Merlin is standing at 65cms with Loki B at 62cms. I don't tend to measure mid month but of course curiosity got the better of me, Orin was 62cms at the wither as well. I've said before that I can't see Orin will be oversized he's a stocky chap who will obviously grow some more but I honestly can't see him being over 65cms. (Hopefully not famous last words!) I checked back and found that at 7 months Ross and Mikey were 63cms and Loki was fractionally taller. Proving this is not a science, Ross is oversized and at least 2 cms taller than Mikey was, our Loki is also very tall. Louis was still only 59cms at 7 Months. Size wise as an adult Louis was on the smaller half of the accepted standard but his personality and presence were simply larger than life. 
So is Merlin going to be hugely oversized like Kai was? Well not necessarily, though I'm sure he'll still have some growth left. He is fed a higher protein diet than Orin and Loki B and that could have made him grow quicker, he simply could be getting to his optimum height sooner.  I'm not sure how tall he was at 6 Months, but Orin and Loki B were both 60cms so seem to be running neck and neck. 
Not many of you will remember Blade as a puppy. To me he was just perfect, but by 7 months he had got to his adult height. He was tall and skinny, nothing but head, legs and ears, but as the months went by he simply filled into his frame and became a beautiful male, he was quite the show winner. I guess they all grow differently and as long as they are health and thriving through puppyhood then they will make stunning adults. 
Top right is a 7-month-old Blade, the other photos are of him as an adult.
I'm sure he was 6yrs in the stance photo.