Friday 2 October 2020

Nuclear Sclerosis??

The morning routine is, Nico and Jezi go out for a wee, I prepare their breakfast, pop it in their crates and they come in to eat. Then the next six go out and I make their breakfast, they come in and eat. Lastly Loki goes out ... same routine. During this time Steve is out on shit shovel duty, no lump of shit is ever left on the yard. Meanwhile, I feed the cats, clean the baby's litter tray and Nico and Jezi go back out whilst we have breakfast. It usually works like clockwork. 
This morning as Jezi and Nico came back in for breakfast Jezi stopped outside her crate and wouldn't go in. Hmmm... I wondered if she'd been sick overnight, nope, I pushed her but she still wouldn't go in. Now I hadn't put the light on in the room and though her crate is under the window I guess it was still dark there. I shone a torch into her crate to check again if there was something in it, she went in and had breakfast. Following that all was normal, but I did remember something that could be significant. A couple of days ago in poor light Jezi walked into the half open gate of her crate, when really she should have seen it. I didn't think much of it then, but today I'm thinking maybe earlier nuclear sclerosis. I can't remember when Tali was diagnosed with it, but by the time we noticed it was pretty dense. The thing is they adapt and we just don't notice it. It's not as serious as a cataract, they don't go blind it's just that what they see is like looking through frosted glass. They also find it difficult in the dark, you may remember Tali stopped jumping into the van, till we got a light coloured sheet on the doorway for her, then it was no problem. It really isn't a big disaster, and maybe I'm wrong with Jezi but it does pay for me to be observant now.