Monday 26 October 2020

Oldies

 A conversation with a friend about old dogs got me thinking as I walked today. I have four old dogs, well three and a very old dog. Lots of show people don't have old dogs, they just have the show team and the show team live in kennels. When the dogs are too old for showing or not winning they rehome them. In principle that sounds dreadful, but really I get it. They retire from the showing world and a kennel to a sofa and a woodland walk, so it is in the interest of the dog. Personally I couldn't do it, these are family, it's different for us our dogs are pets who go to shows! Of course never say never, in the interest of the dogs I have rehomed and I would again if someone else could give them more than we could. 
Sometimes maybe less is more, if there were less of them the walks would be longer maybe? But what else would be different? Really I'm not sure. I'm happy with the food I use. They all spend time in the living room, they all go on "Special" walks, they all get to go to shows, well apart from Ziva because she hated it. I can't think really that much would be currently different.
Yesterday's memory photo was of Asha 10 years ago. Honestly I scrawled past it without recognising her, I then scrawled back and got so emotional. I don't remember her looking like that, honestly I don't. She was so beautiful, Oh hell still is, distinguished and beautiful. I was asked recently if she was the oldest I'd had? Well no, I was blessed to have her mother Tali till after her 13th and Kiri was a few months short of 14 and Simba 2 months short of 13. Most of the bitch line have lived long health lives with only darling Krizzie leaving us far far too young. 
I pray for a Kaiah daughter and that will bring us up to 10 - just one behind the most we've ever had and to be honest 2 over the maximum I like to have. I know I have a lot of heartache to come in the not so distant future, life is for living for the today, so I'll enjoy my oldies and look forward to trying to get a Kaiah daughter.