Thursday 29 October 2020

That Tail

My darling Blade had such a poor quality tail, it had hardly any feathering but my god he was proud of it. Not that he raised it over his back, but it was always marginally too high in the ring. 
So how should the tail be? "Bushy-haired, reaches at least to hock – ideal length reaching to middle of metatarsus. At rest tail hangs in slight sabre-like curve; when moving raised and curve increased, ideally never above level of back. Short, rolled, curled, generally carried badly or stumpy from birth, undesirable"  So maybe Blade could get away with it then! I'm aware that Sammi has a slight curve in her tail, it's so slight that only one judge has ever noticed it, and truth be known I hadn't noticed it till she put in a critique. Actually it was the same judge at the same show that commented that Loki's ears were small for his head, I hadn't noticed that either, but they are. 
Now Orin is equally proud of his huge bushy tail. He has inherited his mums slight curve and on a walk he really rises it, to be honest from a show exhibitor's eye it look bloody awful. Does it matter? Well hell no, not as long as he doesn't raise it in the show ring. Of course, I don't know if he will or he won't, but he doesn't raise it at ring craft, does he? Doubting myself I went looking for photos and came across this video from a month ago. I hadn't originally published it as in the first few seconds he's pulling back to me, but now it shows me all I need to see. He is a little cracker isn't he!