Sunday 2 August 2020

Asha's New Normal?

How is Asha? Is Asha better? ... they ask. I'm really touched by the concern but in a short reply I don't know the answer. She's now making her way through her breakfast, though slowly, and eating her other meals at her normal greedy speed. Last night she got me up once, again she needed a wee and a drink. I have no problem with getting up for her, but I do wonder if she needs the drink more than the wee. I can't leave her loose in the room over night as the cats regularly bring bodies in through the cat flap and leave them for us to find them in the morning. Asha's past record would suggest she would eat anything left lying around. I'm gagging now as I remember many moons ago trying to retrieve a live mouse from her mouth ... she swallowed it!  
On the walks Asha does her own thing, she continues to mooch and eat sheep shit, I can scream and shout all I like but she's not going to stop now is she! She doesn't look ill as ahe potters about and she does keep up, but these last 2 - 3 weeks she's stopped running about like she use to. I guess I have to accept I have a 12 year old bitch now, Asha has been 7 for the last 5 years, if you get my meaning. Well other than her distinguished grey and her sunken forehead she just hadn't aged at all really, but now all of a sudden she's an old dog. 
So is Asha better? Maybe she is, what ever this is it had knocked her for six and maybe she will continue to improve, or maybe this is her new normal?