Monday 6 July 2020

Dog Training

I posted the photo of the Young Guns on the rock with Orin below it on Facebook with the title "Look No Lead," and got lots of lovely comments. Among them I was praised for my training and all the work I've "obviously" done.
Oops so let me confess, my days of spending hours training a dog are long long gone. Orin doesn't know sit, down, stay, away or any of the other basic commands that most people teach their dogs .. hell I'm only just doing teeth! Of course what he does already know are manners, normal everyday life teaches manners, observing and living in a pack also teaches manners  ... Wait, I'm going through that door, you are not! Wait, the van door maybe open but you don't come out. Come ...now ...  always with praise and enthusiasm but do it now. Gwely (Bed) meaning go to bed ... a place of safety, warmth , meals, treats and sleep. Instinctive reactions to a situation by a handler or pack member teaches manners and good behaviour, if you react badly, too late or don't react at all then the moment is gone! Believe you me the other dogs never miss the opportunity to teach right from wrong. Over the years I have learnt more from them than from any book or magazine. 
So out of embarrassment today I will start to teach sit and down ... watch this space....