Thursday 9 July 2020

Asha

We have been controlling Asha's bowel disorder with metranizadol for a few weeks. A week on a week off had been going well, but the last couple of times she's managed less time off them before the diarrhea returned. This all started late last year and it was my choice to try and control the symptoms and give the old lady good quality of life rather than go for intrusive tests. If this system is not going to work then I have to reconsider my options.
At the risk of totally contradicting myself, Asha is so well but there is obviously something wrong with her. What I mean is, she is 12 years old, she has no mobility issues, no obvious sight or hearing losses, she looks well she eats well... as usual! Saying that I've no idea what is going on inside her, there must be a reason for this recurring diarrhea and at her age I felt managing it was the best way forward, but now we don't seem to be managing it.
I've decided to start by reconsider her feeding and to again try a 5 day course of panacur for any parasites that she could have picked up with the rubbish she eats. If there is no improvement I will talk to the vets about blood tests and stool samples, but anything intrusive at her age is just not happening.