Thursday 23 July 2020

Another Rainy Day

Another wet and miserable day on the hill, and no better in the valley, Mr S has been down hill and said wall to wall rain. The weather can vary so much, but not today. I took this photo yesterday afternoon, we were out of the cloud whilst the valley was not, apparently it was raining there too.
Last night we went to ring craft. I go as often as I can. Out in a field with just a handful of people and dogs is as safe as we can be. I feel we need to make the most of it, it'll soon be Winter and with no indoor facilities it may be a long Winter! I love my family but I have lots of wonderful friends through the dog world who are precious to me too, I will miss them terribly if we can't find a new normal over Winter.
Orin did Ok last night, I feel he was better last week, but still no complaints. He is still struggling with "Teeth" but we'll get there. Obviously he fidgets in stance and movement goes from a gallop to perfect to heelwork and back again, all part of learning but generally he's doing so well. His coat is getting thicker by the day, I think he already has more than poor Ross will ever have. Coat and colour always adds glamour to a show dog. With the weather being so miserable I looked back on old photos of Kaiah/Sammi and the boys at 4 months - Orin is definitely pushing to the front of quality and glamour of coat and colour. I didn't remember just how black Kaiah's forehead was at the same age though. OMG look at her, butter wouldn't melt ... no cos she fecking swallowed it! Already expecting payment for her photo!
Orin has a softer expression, and personality I suppose. Bitches are almost always stronger characters and Kaiah is no exception. She is very loving and affectionate, very obedient (as long as she gets a treat) but without doubt she can be strong willed and determined. Her bond with me and respect for me is very strong, but in the wrong hands Kaiah could easily rule the roost.
Orin is proving to be quite easy to manage really, with Ross as an exception I do feel puppy dogs are easier than bitches .. though of course Ross is an absolute pleasure now. Sammi was a headstrong puppy, very confident in her own skin and very strong willed, but like Kaiah as an adult she is generally very obedient. To be honest out and about I think these days Kaiah is the most obedient of all the bitches, but it took work and determination on my part .. oh yes and it took lots of treats! I find walking Orin with the three younger dogs is more beneficial all round. He has more fun and generally the three of them are so obedient off the lead. I think walking with grannies and mother may teach him how to occasionally switch his ears off! Seriously I will keep my options open and keep mixing and matching on walks for the time being.
The photo of Orin and Luther is one I took a few days ago - it really shows the beauty of his new adult coat as it comes through. Yeah chuffed with that, on show potential only one thing disappoints .. but I'm not suppose to talk about that!!!  ...lol