Monday 27 July 2020

Asha At The Vets

As you know Asha hasn't been well the last couple of weeks. Just when we thought she was on the up she was ill again and her temperature was high this morning. (40.2). I was dreading taking her to the vets and handing her over in the car park, but needs must and to be honest I think she coped better than I did.
External examination shows no abnormalities, her heart is spot on and her chest clear. Asha has lost weight and the vet suggests I also monitor that. She commented about muscle wastage on her forehead, not something you could miss really. Asha's now only weighs 26.5kg so 3kg less than her average, but to be honest I don't think she looks dramatically thin. Some old dogs get thinner, some get fatter.
Asha was prescribed with antibiotics as the vet suspects an infection, and she had a metacam injection for reducing the temperature. If things don't improve then they will take bloods to check her kidney and liver function and take a urine sample. She's been getting us up for a wee every night the last 2 weeks - but she did seem better when I gave her pearl barley for 2 days, one of Jill Hubbards remedies for UTI's.  I wish I'd continued it now really as I've experience of it working in the past with a very young Tali.
Hopefully by the time the temperature comes down Asha will be feeling brighter again, not a day for walking anyway ... let's hope tomorrow is a better day all round!