Monday 16 September 2019

The Idexx Test

Well we live and learn. Having ordered the progesterone kits for Kaiah I decided to see which vet would be cheapest to take blood. Cibyn was £17.50 and Deufor was £27.50. No I'm not shocked, sadly since the departure of Roger the prices at Deufor in Ffor have gone ridiculous. Anyway I was discussing this with a friend who has just had a litter in another breed and she told me that her vet in Mona now do an in-house Idexx test. They have bought a machine from Idexx and for £45 all inclusive per test you can have the result within hours and not the next day! Well that sounds excellent. I rang Cibyn this morning and sadly they do not have a machine, they still send off the samples to idexx for next day results. So I rang Deufor ... though for some reason the receptionist was at first vague they too have just bought a machine from Idexx and could give me the results on the day, but their price - £60 a test!
If Kaiah only needed one test at £60 then £15 is neither here nor there .. but what if she needed 3 tests to find the optimum date? Well that is an extra £45 ... that's my diesel to Suffolk .. (But not back ..lol) I explained this to the receptionist at Deufor and I'm now waiting for a return call from the boss man! I will not pay them £60 when I can go to Mona and get the test for £45 .. it's only a few miles further and definitely worth it .. but neither do I really want to register her with another vet. We'll see what they have to say if he bothers to ring me back!