Saturday 14 September 2019

Idol's Name

So, (sorry Steve,) last weekend someone asked Steve why I hadn't named any of the dogs "George."  Steve didn't know the answer and I think skated over the question .. I always use to say there's only room for one George in my life, to be honest I still feel the same. I can't imagine using the name George as a pet name for any of them .. though of course the "G" litter all had registered names incorporating "George." Asha is Blanik Georgette and Mikey was Blanik Georgios (George's real name) But as regard to having to use the name daily, well I just couldn't do it. If all goes to plan our litter this year will be the "K" litter - if the KC accepted it then one male will be Kyriacos, George's middle name but that is as close as it comes.
I've had numerous idols who have influenced my life, my first love/crush was David Soul. It was the 70ies .. Starsky and Hutch, Going in with my eyes open. Silver Lady etc .. Oh I thought he was beautiful. The 80ies changed me and I can't deny I was influenced tremendously by my hero's. Boy George taught me that it was so OK to be different and because of him I realised I could think for myself, and if I did not agree with my piers small minded attitudes on sexual orientation, well it was best that I speak out! It didn't always go well .. different times. Then there was Marc Almond, he appealed to my dark side, still does. I still get a small thrill from memories of shocking the oldies and causing controversy .. but generally I am in it for the quite life these days!
Then there was Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou, the main influence of my adult life. Controversial but kind, someone who really made me realise the kind of person I wanted to be. I've thought so much about him this week .. I've watched my favourite videos and remembered the wonderful times I was blessed to be in his company. So witty, so funny, so talented. He seemed to have it all .. but of course now we know how tortured he was and how alone he felt in a world full of people who thought they loved him. The price of fame!
I love Robbie too, he makes me smile, but doesn't influence me in any way, he simply brightens up my day. There are some celebrities that always manage to cheer me up, Robbie is on the top of my list, with Graham Norton, Romesh Ranganathan and David Tennant also high on the list.
I've had a dog called Robbie but Romesh? Hmmm can't think it would work somehow! LOL