Thursday 5 September 2019

Have I Been Harsh?

A few weeks ago I had an enquiry from a lady with a GSD bitch of Carlsbro breeding about using Nico at stud. I put her on the right road and she was going ahead with health tests this month. So this morning I have received an e.mail from here saying that after talking to her vet they have decided not to follow "the Kennel Club route" of health test as they don't want to sedate the bitch, so they are just going to find a dog and breed from the bitch. She asked if I know of any suitable males? Well excuse the profanity but fuck me pink, what is wrong with people? Maybe I should have left it an hour before replying ... but I didn't!
"Hi
All I can ask is that you reconsider. I would never recommend anyone breed from a dog or bitch without the minimum health tests and I'm quite shocked that your vet is happy with this. Either do the health tests and breed or spay her. The breed council are working very hard to ensure future generations of our breed are healthy, without these tests in both parents you may well be breeding animals that may suffer life long pain and misery. Sorry I don't mean to be dramatic, but for the sake of the puppies, the bitch and the breed if you are going to do it then please do it right.
Regards Rhian"

Well it needed saying, did it not? Se has a very well bred bitch from health tested parents, why the hell would she want to use the dog down the road and risk everything? When I get an enquiry for Nico I do my homework, I check the bitches breeding, her health tests and the COF of any future puppies that could come from the mating. I try and do it right ... why shouldn't they?  Why the hell would I recommend a dog that has no health tests? If Nico is not the dog for her then fine, but please get your bitch's health tests done and find a dog of equal merits ... Honestly I'm seething with the owner and disgusted with the vet, it's not about getting studs for Nico it's about producing the very best / healthiest puppies you can.
PS - Anyone remember who was Carlsbro Boss?