Monday 30 September 2019

Kaiah Test One

Well Mr S got me in a tiss this morning when he announced that Loki was really after Kaiah. At day 12 most bitches are coming close to time to be mated, but going on Kaiah's previous season she should not be anywhere near ready. Still now the seed of doubt was planted firmly in my mind .. With such a long way to go to visit Zalu and bitches known for such variety in their seasons I rang the vet and brought the progesterone test forward to today.
I bet Kaiah was gutted when her early morning trip out ended up at the vets. Still she went in full of enthusiasm and fun. I think the vet was a little taken aback when I said, "Well I know she won't be ready, but I just want to know where she's at!" She said "but on day 12 she could be ready", but I know her and honestly did know she wasn't ready. I just thought it would be helpful to know how close to ovulation she is so I could plan ahead. The compliments made on her construction and "faultless character" at the vets were flattering. To be told I should be proud to have bred such a bitch is indeed a compliment! Before leaving we popped her on the scales. 30kg -heaviest she has been but I think it's maturity not weight, if that makes sense.
Bloody hell it was amazing .. by the time I was home the e.mail had arrived with the results. Day 12 and the level is still only 0.8 .. lol Ovulation is 16. A waste of time and money? Well no not really, I've cancelled Wednesday's appointment and will now go back on Friday as I gather I would be anyway .. and Saturday too if necessary. As I've said I know Kaiah is late ovulating so this is really not a surprise and it was 20+ days when I commented in her last season that I thought she would be ready for mating. (This blog is so good to refresh the brain!)
Sammi's first test on day 11 came back at 2.2 but it had gone up to 11.4 by the morning of day 15, (so ovulation was probably on Tuesday evening to Wednesday morning, days 15 and 16 of her season) Sammi was mated on day 19 when it was likely that her progesterone levels were in the 40 ies.
With progesterone levels only suppose to double up every 48 hrs I can't imagine we'll be making our trip until late in weekend .. or more likely next week.  Like I said I don't mind really as regards to the hopeful DOB now .. we are well clear of Xmas and that was important to me.