Friday 6 September 2019

Did We Miss Autumn?

With men still lurking around the bathroom I opted to get the dogs out this morning. I knew the forecast was for improvement towards lunch time but hell it was only a little cold with some gusty wind, light drizzle and niwl.. (Mist, fog .. whatever!) Just the right clothes right? 
Well I sure got it wrong when I opted for the shower proof trousers and coat. By the time I had the girls out it was pouring down and shower proof is not "pissing it down horizontal rain proof!" I got so wet, I think the wettest I've been in years. The water was running down my legs into my wellies. Honestly, I sure did feel miserable! 
Though we were drenched the girls were full of fun. What is it about wind and rain that excites them so much? Wind, did I not mention the wind? I could barely hold the van doors open to load everyone to come home. 
I arrived home feeling petty sorry for myself, cold wet and needing a wee. Oh there are men in the bathroom! Oh well, I got changed in the living room .. clean jeans and winter waterproofs .. ha I was not going to get caught out again. But as ever mother nature got one up on me .. as soon as I set off the rain stopped, the wind eased,  and as you can see in the above photo the niwl cleared and the sun came out .. and didn't I look a tit all dressed up like a fisherman in his waders!  It just proves the theory again, there is no wrong weather, only the wrong clothes. 
Actually I don't totally agree with that. When it's pissing it down you can wear oilskin waterproofs, when it's cold you wrap up warm. In snow .. well you just get out and enjoy it and then go home for tea and chocolate .. but there is weather that does affect dog walking, especially on the mountain. In strong winter winds it really can be dangerous to walk here and common sense does prevail, in thick mist then extra care is necessary as anything can crop up on you .. even the cattle. But of course the worst weather for walking dogs is intense heat, it's simply dangerous. They only thing we can do on those few days a year when it truly is unbearable for the likes of me is either hide in the house or get up early and take the guys swimming. So yeah, maybe sometimes there can be the wrong weather!