Friday 23 December 2022

No Stud!

At the beginning of October I had a stud enquiry for Orin, I answered with the same spiel. "He is available at stud to health tested, kc registered bitches of standard colour." I asked for the bitches registered name and saw she was a very well-bred female of very similar lines to Cookie and Pepsi's bitch lines. I told the owner that I had no problem with him using Orin at stud and to come back to me when she was health tested and a year older. (She was 12.5 months) He seemed happy with that.
Last night he messaged me, the bitch was now in season and though he hadn't health tested her he wanted to proceed with the mating and do A.I. WHAT?  "No, not without hip and elbow scores and at 15 months she's far too young. GSD should not be bred from until they are 2 + years old and it is not ethical to breed without health testing. Should you decide to breed when she is hip and elbow scored and over 2 years then please get back in touch. You may find Tracy and Eric have endorsed your pedigree until hips/elbow scores are done anyway."  He replied to simply say her pedigree was not endorsed, which means of course he can do what the feck he likes!!! I tried once more by telling him mating her now would be like a 10-year-old girl getting pregnant - no reply! I guess this young bitch will be mated to the dog down the road, neither will be health tested, and puppies will be born and sold with no back up or support. So if he's going to do it anyway why not just let him use Orin? After all, after I robbed him for fencing cash it would be much needed money in Orin's piggy bank! No, no way, I have my reputation and Orin's to protect, it is totally against my principles, my dogs, my rules ... so it's not going to happen. 
Another thing that I don't understand, but didn't get as far as asking was why A.I? And who was going to do that for him? If he does prove me wrong and come here in 12 months time then it won't be A.I. My dog is capable of doing his job and messing with nature when you don't have to is not high on my list!