Saturday 31 December 2022

Fits

Following another day and night of diarrhoea, I was at the vets this morning picking up pills for Orin and Zeus. I had put them both on pro kolin but during a phone consultation the vet reminded me that it was a bank holiday weekend and suggested I collected the antibiotics to have here as a precaution. To be honest I don't think this was connected to the "bug" just maybe too much turkey stew! 
From the vets we went on to Mums for an hour or two then returned home. I let Loki out but I could hear Ziva winging. I knew straight away that something was wrong. Her bedding was untidy and she was wobbly. She didn't go straight out but followed me from room to room. She bumped into things, was panting, pacing and disorientated, these are signs that I now recognise, without doubt she'd had a fit shortly before we got home. Kaiah and Siska were suspicious of her behaviour, and now I remember clearly that Kaiah had picked up on what I can only think is abnormal brain activity on Thursday afternoon. Whilst Ziva was sleeping, Kaiah had got up and started staring intensely at her. I told her to lie down, but she went round the back of the chairs and stared at her from a different angle. Ziva didn't even wake up, but Kaiah was very edgy and her expression was intense. I must now keep an eye on Kaiah, she may well be the key to us knowing that a fit is brewing. 
I must admit I had a cry, seeing Ziva disoriented, panting and pacing like this is so upsetting. There is no doubt that she can't see properly, but I think it took over 24 hrs for her sight to return to normal last time. It's hard to know what to do to help her, do I let her pace or do I crate her to see if she'll relax? What is the right thing to do? The last couple of times I've left her to it and she's eventually stopped and fallen into a deep sleep. Maybe she needs to pace, it seems to be what her body is telling her to do anyway. 
Ziva's last fit was on the 14th of November and it was the 25th of September before that, so that's close on 7 weeks between the fits, since we have to we can live with that and hopefully Ziva can cope with that and recover well again now.  
*Ziva had a second fit about 3.15pm. It was milder than her pervious fits - I hope it's over now.