Friday 14 October 2022

Todays News

You may or may not have noticed that I've changed the cover/header photo. It was a difficult decision with Asha, Nico and Jezi still on it, they are never forgotten but we sadly have to move on and Siska had grown up so much since that last photo collage. 
The forecast today was for light showers, Hmm! I'd been to the doctors early then we went to pick up the dog food, it was dry, but as soon as the marathon of carrying food in began it pissed it down. With me and the dogs already soaked we carried on and went to the fields, though why a partially wet Orin had to roll 3 or 4 times in soaking wet grass is beyond me? As if he wasn't wet enough already! 
I had been tagged in a Facebook post by someone looking for a dog with lines free of Vegas and Zamp, it was interesting to read other comments on there from people so desperate to get away from these lines as well as Quenn, Furbo and Remo that they are turning to working line dogs. I understand the dilemma but by doing that we will surely lose the type of dog that we all favour. A working line GSD is very different in appearance to a show line dog. Orin carries none of these dogs, or Dux, like his father he must surely be of long term benefit to this breed - let's hope breeders see the dangers before it's too late or the bottleneck of disaster will cripple the breed. Siska also has a pretty open pedigree, but through Merlot (Kaiah's sire) she has one line to Quenn, if I mate her to Zalu I only bring Vegas in, if I mate her to Vasco, I brings in Vegas, Quenn, Furbo and Remo. Though Vegas and Quenn would be beyond the 5 generation pedigree, Remo and Furbo would be in the 5th generation. It wouldn't be a disaster as I say her pedigree is pretty open, but future partners would need great care. What a decision!!! 
I spoke to Geraint the vet this morning. He said that keeping a balance on Ziva's meds was now the plan of action. Reducing it could increase the risks of a fit, and as she's now not drowsy I've opted not to change a thing. If it ain't broke ... 
Zeus isn't himself today, he's a little subdued and hasn't eaten. I don't feel we need to rush to the vets but I'll keep an eye on him over the weekend.