Tuesday 18 October 2022

Parasites

Little miss standing watching her mum in the field yesterday. I swear I didn't place her in stance or move a single foot, the only thing I did was say wait wait wait, whilst I got the phone out of my pocket - woohoo - got it. 
We are really struggling with ticks here right now. They always seem to thrive in Fron in Autumn. I'm finding one or two on someone most days, and Steve has even had one on his arm. I shouldn't laugh but "Get it off me, get it off me" is still ringing in my ears. With all the medication he's on I doubt it would have survived anyway. Poor Siska had two around one of her nipples the other day, it did look odd and I initially questioned what I saw. The cats seem to be getting them more than the dogs, but Orin had one on his head and his body reacted giving him a huge lump. I don't have any device or potion to get them off - I simply pull them off like my Nain (grandmother) showed me when I was a child. As the weather cools the little shits thankfully become less active.
We have been lucky again this year with fleas. To be honest I now realise that in the past most of them came home from Freshfields on me! I continue to spray the house twice a year so that any eggs simply can't hatch, that ends the life cycle if we do bring any passengers home from a show or from training. I have been using Staykill for years and have therefore not had to put any chemicals on the dogs in almost a decade. Worms are a different matter here, the cats are killing and reinfesting themselves on a regular basis, so everyone needs doing. Thank god for animed!