Wednesday 19 October 2022

Thoughts And Decisions

Steve took this of me and Zeus on the sofa last night. He's such a lovely, affectionate chap. (I mean Zeus of course!) He's well settled into his new routine, due to our sad loses he now gets a lot more time with us.
Unlike the others who'll take on any weather, Zeus doesn't really like extremes, he doesn't like the heat and he doesn't like wind and rain, Oh, and he doesn't want to get up before 8am either. This morning we slept in till 8.15am, wow a whole 15 mins, but hearing the wind whistling through the cottage Zeus still wanted to stay in bed. With gusts of up to 70mph I doubt we'll be going out today.
The never ending moult continues, though I've been made less concerned by other owners of L/c's sharing their photos with me on Facebook. 
I regularly get messages asking about Ziva, she is doing so well. Back to normal now really, maybe a little "lazy" on her back legs, but hell she is 11 so we could understand that in normal circumstances, let alone after what she's been through. One thing that we have noticed after stroking her head is that she shakes her head, especially if we have been anywhere near her right ear. She responds as if something is in her ear, flattens it, shakes her head then carries on with life. I can't help but wonder if there is something on the right side of her brain. Another answer we'll never get! (If I've previously said left to you, then I was thinking of my left as I stroked her, I get easily confused)
I try not to study Loki too much these days, to just let him get on with things - but my god the boy is doing so well. His recovered has gone far beyond our expectations. I watched him go off in front of me down the field at a walk, those back feet come clearly off the floor again now, no dragging at all. I bet you the majority of people would not see a thing wrong with him now, such a shame there are no open shows about, I think I'd stick him in a veteran class - honestly he's that good! 
Kaiah is carrying a little too much weight still. Nothing dramatic but it needs to come off. She'll be going into another moult soon, she may lose it naturally then as they lose condition with coat, and then I guess she'll be in season around Xmas time ... the joys! I hope that this is going to be Kaiah last season and that we only have to put up with hormonal Hannah once more. Ideally, I'd like Siska to get pregnant at her next season, and then I can spay Kaiah. I don't want to risk spaying Kaiah now, where dogs/breeding is concerned it really isn't worth putting all your eggs in one basket, we know full well that the risk of the basket breaking is just too great. If Siska misses next time then I don't know what I'll do, the option would be try once more with Siska or mate Kaiah at the following season. A decision to make at a much later date! 
Another stunning male has come into the country, an Asap Vom Aldamar son. Asap is one of my favourite dogs in many a generation, but sadly this boy is a L/C and for now that does put him behind Vesco and Zalu. I've now seen for myself that people are struggling to sell L/C's with two Fransisco progeny still with the breeder whilst the S/C's have been sold. In Yarna's litter to Orin the L/C's were also the last to sell, with no interest in Joe (Mr Green) for quite a while. I do think that since the coat variety became accepted as part of the breed standard that the L/C breeders have flooded the market, and with so many being bred just for coat their cash cow is now drying up. Though a decision has not been made, I do feel it's highly likely that my first choice for Siska will now be Vesco.