Monday 8 March 2021

Update On The Girls

Saying goodbye to Elka yesterday was a far more emotional experience than I expected it to be. I thought that if I was going to cry then it would be when little Wren packed his bag for Hemel Hempstead on Saturday, but having met his owners before and getting to see Loki B again lightened the mood. Handing Elka over in a car park in a motorway services  felt so wrong. I'll never forget the way she stared at me, those confused eyes burrowing into my heart, I just couldn't help myself I burst into tears. I wouldn't have done that for just anyone, but the home came highly recommended from a trusted friend, it was a home I didn't want her to lose, Oh this bloody virus. 
I took this photo before the girls went to bed on their last night together. I promise not to dwell on it as it was my choice to keep Siska, but OMG look at the size difference! My tiny tot still has some catching up to do, I'm sure she'll get there. Her 8-week weigh in was 4.6 kg , I'll weigh her weekly now on a Saturday then monthly from 3 months. There is no point comparing her weight to Kaiah right now as Kaiah was a tank at this age. I have Kasey's weight, she was  4.54kg at 8 weeks  and by 4 months she was 15.9kg, maybe Yvette could let me have Jazz's weights to compare with too? I'm sure Kaiah was levelling out by 3 - 4 months too so that will help. 
What is easy to forget was that yesterday and last night was a big deal for Siska too. Not only had all her siblings gone, but I was gone for half the day too. We put a puppy pen in the living room for her and Steve said she screamed and howled the whole time I was away. She only stopped to eat! I had a huge welcome when I got home, the puppy pen was put away and after a big sleep she became part of the pack!  Obviously care will be needed, the size difference and clumsiness is the main problem, but also she needs to learn who will play and who won't! Siska was great overnight, a few cries at bedtime then nothing till 6.15am, I let her out for a wee and I went back to bed till 7.45am. Again a few screams but she soon settled. 
Today we are off to Pets At Home for some essential shopping!