Monday 28 September 2020

More On Colour

Most of you will recall Finlay, if you don't then briefly, in 2007 we were informed at Freshfields that Finlay and many others were in the same plight. We had lost elderly sibling Dexi and Seffe 3 weeks apart and Jay was very poorly, at the time I was very vulnerable and emotional. Finlay had been in the pound and was due to be PTS as his owners wouldn't pay the fine to get him back. With no room in the rescue centre, I either fostered him or he died! Finlay joined us on a short term foster in July 2007, he died here an old man in August 2016. This time I failed as a fosterer! Being as I'm so anti non-standard colour his presence in my pack was a shock to many, but I repeat now what I said then, where rescue is concerned colour doesn't come into it!
Just to prove I didn't always fail as a fosterer I thought I'd share this photo of "Llio."  She was with us for a few months in 2001. I did re-home her. We also had Sheba the tail chaser here around the same time. Her tail was red raw and chewed to the bone as the behavioural problem had not been address. So many people laugh at a puppy chasing its tail thus encouraging the behaviour, they don't realise how serious it can become. Anyway Sheba was re-homed with a knowledgable GSD man. 
I guess just by looking at these two you can imagine that maybe they were not bred by a reputable breeder. Though Finlay was a beautiful dog I still believe that breeding for colours like this is all about greed and not for the good of the breed.