Friday 25 September 2020

Boys And Girls

I'm following a very interesting post on Facebook. A 52 year old woman has now retired and is about to start looking for her dream dog, a GSD, but of course. She has no preference on the sex and asks people's opinions. Mine opinion is well documented and my comment on the post reads ... 
"I have owned both sexes for almost 30 years, generally I find the boys easier, more affectionate more honest. What you see is what you get. The girls are brighter and more devious, I feel generally more of a handful."  Of course it is a general observation, individuals vary and actually Kaiah is probably the cuddliest female I've had. Saying that she is also feisty, exuberant and determined! Ross on the other had has huge potential as a working dog, his natural instincts remind me of a bitch. 
Anyway the post continues with various experiences and opinions, most people agree with my views, but not all. As I say we all have our experiences. Now I would have left the post there had someone not said that male dogs are dirty and smell. They continue to say that they cock their legs all over the furniture ... WHAT? How bloody ridiculous. My boys NEVER pee in the house, never. Well Ok I can think of an occasion when Blade peed on Simba's crate .. when Simba was in it .. but that was one occasion and a long time ago. Loki peed on the washing basket recently, but it was on the floor in the middle of the yard, he wouldn't have thought .. Oh that's the washing I'll pee on it! The boys are not smelly, they don't smell any different to any of the bitches. I agree their urine does smell stronger in the yard, but bitch wee stains grass too. All you need is to keep the place clean isn't it .. we use Safe4 disinfectant, problem solved. 
Going back to Kaiah, as she walks with the boys I really do see a difference in them. She up over everything, through gates, under a gap in the fence whilst the boys stand there wondering how she did that? The game also fascinates me, she runs ahead, stops and goes down ... they stop and while she's staring at them they do not move, she does seem to have full control. It only ever continues to a game of chase but on her term. Here her agility really comes into it's own, they have no chance of catching her, she twists and turns on the spot and they chase with great enthusiasm. 
I've never owned a single female dog so I've no idea how the breed fares in that light. Early on Blade was my first and only male GSD, he was extremely trainable but when I got Nikki again I saw more natural clever behaviour, and then I got Seffe and realised just how clever these bitches actually were. 
The top photo shows Kaiah has stopped all the boys and will keep them there till she decides to move ... the second photo - the boys can never figure out how she gets through these gates!