Saturday 26 September 2020

Bach At Bwlch Derwin Forest



It's been such a long time since I got to enjoy a walk at Bwlch Derwin. In the 90 ies, and later, it used to be one of my regular walks, but tree felling stopped me going, and to be honest I then seem to forget about it. When my mum broke her shoulder in 2017, and I was doing meals on yellow wheels I started looking for places to walk on route, a friend reminded me about Bwlch Derwin. 
We had been going back regularly again but then last year we were greeted with "Work In Process" signs. The tree felling its self was not the problem, the large machinery, again not really an issue, but seeing containers that looked like oil containers seeping into ditches put me off. These head straight for the ditches and the "what ifs" played on my mind. I know I went back in September and went in at the other side past the old school house, but there is nowhere to park there and Steve dropped me off before going for logs. I can't think I've been back since. 
Anyway a couple of weeks ago we went for a drive that way and found the work had finished again. There's a huge area of felled trees but it's safe again now. I think the dogs loved being back there as much as I did. Though I was very aware of the deep pool that Asha threw herself in last time and made sure I steered here away in the opposite direction! I met one lady with a lurcher on the first walk, other than that I had it to myself. It takes approx 20 mins to get there and I took the first 5 in the van together, I did two walks then returned home for the youngsters. I considered that I should have taken Orin with the girls so I could take the youngsters further, ah well it was too late. When I loaded the van for the third walk Orin decided to play the pratt. With Loki, Kaiah and Ross waiting he decided to take his fat butt off down the field. Recall? What recall? Getting no response I ran up to shut the main gate ... he then came from the side of the caravan, I knelt down calling him enthusiastically to me, I was smiling on the outside, cursing on the inside, he came so close then ran past me. I heard my self shouting "Well you can fecking stay at home then!" As if  he understood that! Then out of the blue he toddled over to the van and jumped in. Little shit ... "Such a good boy!"
To be fair at the woods everyone was so well-behaved, we had a lovely time and got some cracking photos. (They are in the Facebook album!) Steve was not impressed when we got home as the three boys were wet, dirty and smelly. Ross of course being in a horrendous state, well where kong goes Ross goes, and I didn't throw it! Steve kept showing me the towel as he dried him and if I heard once that he stank, well I heard it a dozen times! I have to admit the boys did stink .. ah well never mind! 
Ross was coming out of it when I got there, Loki and Orin were in, Kaiah as usually stayed on the edge!