Tuesday 8 October 2019

Today

The long journey began at 3.30am .. We drove through a starry Wales and watched a fantastic but blinding sunrise somewhere on the M6.  It was all going so well till we hit the A14 .. the congestion was a nightmare and it added over 40 mins to our journey.
Still we were received in rural Depden with the loveliest of welcomes. I declined a cup of tea so I could give Kaiah a run and have a wee myself before getting on with the matter in hand.
Initially Kaiah thought she would rip Zalu's face off but she gradually softened to the idea. I muzzled her .. I will not have Nico bitten during a mating so no bitch of mine is going to bite a stud dog. Well that caused such a kerfuffle, I've never seen the like. Bless her she's never had one on before and I hope she won't again but needs must. The mating was almost text book, she stood there more pissed off about the muzzle than the mating. They had a 20 min tie and Kaiah went off to sulk muzzleless in the van!
Dennis was so complementary about her that I got quite emotional. He asked if the owner of her father had seen her? He said she was the best "Merlot" daughter he'd seen. He said she was a perfect bitch, though I don't agree it was lovely to hear. The Maine Coon cats in the living room were loony's, they made Lurther look like an Angel. I could have sat and watched them for hours. I met a 12 week old Zalu daughter, who was just lovely and saw Lux, Ross' half brother from a distance. We were then treated to late breakfast in a local cafe before making the 269 mile trip home, thank god with no hold ups!
Now all I can do is hope that this mating has taken. The pessimist in me will of course now brood that because of the drastically rapid progesterone rise that we went just a few hours too late for a successful mating .. but the optimist will hopefully take over and logic will prevail. Only 5 weeks till we know eh!