Saturday 26 October 2019

Struggling With Loki

Last night the situation with Loki in the living room in the evening escalated. I don't think I can write about it, it's too raw, to be honest I don't I will be able to write or talk about it in any detail so please don't ask me. Let's put it this way I'm really shocked and disappointed, and not necessarily in Loki.
If last night proved anything it proved that we have a problem that needs sorting. How can I even consider bringing a puppy into this tense situation? Well I can't, not without changes. I don't want a third pack and I can only think of a couple of instant solutions. One, Loki stays out of the living room in the evening or two, somehow we find space for a crate for him in the living room in the evening. Unable to sleep last night and mulling it all over I did consider he may be better off returning to the breeder .. of course I quickly quashed that thought but for Loki and everyone sake it needs to change.
I still think a lot of the issues are to do with us shouting at a rebellious Ross when he was younger. For some reason now Loki has it in his head that evening will be tense. But Ross is so well behaved now and the only reason we ever shout is because of Loki's growling. Ross can't get up to get a drink, or change positions, well generally move without Loki's tense growling which in turn unsettles the girls too. Of course Ross being Ross he doesn't help by insisting on going over and doing the submissive licking around Loki's mouth, which infuriates Loki further. Ross is behaving naturally, trying to say OK you are the boys, but Loki doesn't seem to get it at all. I generally try not to shout I just call Ross away and praise him for getting it right. In the meantime Loki has squashed himself between the chair and the fish tank and the expression on his face is just tension.
There is no doubt Loki has issues, nature or nurture? Well I now consider maybe a bit of both. I've tried so hard with him, I took him everywhere and did everything I could to try and help him grow up from that anti social puppy to a more rounded adult. To a degree I've succeeded but I still think he does not have the strength of character to be the older male in the pack. Nico, who gets on with everything hates him and Asha still treats him like a 4 month old puppy. Why? What do they know? We will probably never get the answers to the questions. The most important thing now is to try and get peace and harmony back in the pack, and to get that all the dogs need to be happy and confident in their places. Somehow it needs to change and I think to do that we need to find a way to help Loki build up his confidence here in the home because this is the only place where the problem continually shows itself!