Wednesday 17 April 2019

Poor Choo

Choo came in yesterday morning for breakfast as normal and then came to settle in the living room. I noticed his ears where twitching and he was very very unsettled. On closer examination I could see small black flies running around on his ears. Too small to be fleas, and definitely not classic ear mites. I had no idea what they were but luckily I had some advocate which I put on him ... and all the other cats. 2 hours later and poor Choo was still besides himself , he was so stressed. Steve suggested we smother his ears in vaseline to stop them running around, hopefully suffocate them and stop them driving him insane. It worked and I took dozens of the dead and dying critters off his ears. His poor ears where so sore he was getting quite stressed as we tried to help him, his ears felt all bumpy, like a nettle rash. I guess they had bitten him to buggery ... bastard things.
Today Choo has a couple of sores on his ears but the bite swellings have gone down. Some patches of hair have also come off the back of his ears. I have no idea what these things where, like I said definitely not fleas, over 12 years at Freshfields I've seen enough of those to last me a life time but they where pretty obviously nasty little things.  I've no idea either where he encountered them .. where ever it was I hope he doesn't go back there in a hurry!