Tuesday 23 April 2019

Kaiah Concerns

Kaiah has had me worried the last few days. At the show on Saturday she didn't put the same enthusiasm into her gating that I'm use to seeing. I still feel she did enough, but if the judge wanted more drive from her, well he didn't get it!  On the way home from the show we were talking about our dogs eating habits and I was telling Ian that Ross is really frustrating me again with his refusal to eat. With a Champ show coming I'd played the game last week but this week I'm not! Eat it or loose it my friend. I went on to say that if Kaiah didn't eat then I really would be worried, she's never left a morsel in her life.
On Sunday morning I noticed that Kaiah was slow tucking into her breakfast, when I went back later I saw that she was just picking at it, really not like her! On the walk she was fine and in the evening she seemed fine. I have to admit I didn't notice yesterday but this morning she really didn't want her food. I have to admit my stomach churned over and when I went to check on her she had left a small portion of food. This is not normal for Kaiah, Kaiah is usually on a par with Asha in greed and speed of eating. When they where out in the yard I noticed that Loki was paying her extra attention. Again panic, I checked for a discharge, but there was nothing to be seen ... I took her temperature, it was normal. On the walk Kaiah was very normal but my obvious concern considering her timing after the season is a pyometra. (A serious uterus infection)
Of course this could simply be hormonal .. I pray it is, but I'll be keeping an extra eye on her over the next few days. With a Pyometra bitches are very ill, but it took a few days for it to be diagnosed in Kiri and Seffe too, both first went off their food and had the males sniffing around them. When checked by a vet Kiri did not have a temperature on the Saturday but was seriously ill by the Monday ... it pays to be vigilant now.