Tuesday 25 July 2017

Terrible Teens?

I hate it when people continuously complain about their dogs and their behaviour, it can be especially hurtful when it's one I've bred. It left here an open book and within no time at all it's a monster. If you have a problem then you can do one of two things, sort it or live with it! To be fair it's usually the owners fault for not addressing an issue correctly or quickly anyway ... But what the hell happened to my perfect puppy?
Kaiah has been a joy, a darling. Obedient, loving, quick to learn, confident and happy, honest she must have been one of the easiest bitch puppies ever. But I repeat, what the hell has happened to my perfect puppy?
Basically Kaiah is now a teenage thug! She torments her mother to a point that one day Sammi came home from the field and now wouldn't go back out with her. She then turned her attention onto Asha, she hides in the long grass and charges Asha. When Asha had had enough and  "Told her" she snapped her teeth in Asha's face. Shit, that is bad manners! It seems the child will not be told. I think Sammi has left it too late to tell her, she adores her, promotes her and has put her on a pedestal. Kaiah's nature is such that she now feels very important and because she's been allowed to get away with everything from everybody she's now taking liberties.
Within the home there really isn't any issues, she's sweet happy and very cuddly. But because of her behaviour within the pack I have now started to remove her puppy privileges, and I'm making her do things for me to achieve her goal.
Of course she is in season and I can't imagine that is helping. She away from her beloved Loki, hormones are raging within her and she's a teenager. Not a great combination really is it? I'm sure we've been here before with other bitches, we'll just have to ride the storm out really won't we.
So who do I walk her with today? It was going so well yesterday when I was walking her with just Tali. Tali does her own thing and is pretty boring company I guess, so Kaiah had no one to torment. But then the shit really hit the fan as she came across a single sheep who was out of my view behind some reeds, it ran and she chased it. I screamed, I called, I panicked, I ran .. but I also had Tali to think of and she struggled in the heat to keep up. In those few minute you think everything, she's killed the sheep, she's been hit by a car, shot by the farmer ... she's out of your sight and your mind is racing with fear. Luckily for me there was a good Samaritan, a man preparing to go for a walk in one of the bottom parking spaces. He saw her chasing the sheep, gave chase and somehow grabbed her. I think I was expecting a lecture from him, but he must have seen how distressed I was and was so nice to me, he insured me she hadn't touched the sheep. It took a brave man to just grab a strange GSD, and who ever he was I will always be grateful to him. But of course this is now fresh in my mind and I fear taking her back out there today, but I have too. Lessons will have to be leaned, but she has to go out, and lets face it, I've had the same experience to date with almost every generation. Sort it or live with it Mrs S, but don't moan about it!