Monday 2 January 2023

Ross

Sadly a friends dog is having issues with his elbows, because of this I did a blog search on Ross' problems. The first time he saw a vet he was 4 months and it was recorded on his notes as pain in right elbow. He was given metacam and seemed to recover well. Ross was just short of 7 months when he ran into a rock sticking out of the snow, the screams were chilling and from then on nothing seem to go right really. He did 6 weeks of cage rest followed by x-rays then later physio. Though his X-rays were sent to Rutland House the results were inconclusive, and should the limp continue a CT scan was suggested. A loud click developed in Ross' elbow, so we took him to paws for fitness for physio and Gillian did make a valid point, the clicking was intermittent and had it been on the elbow joint it would have been continuous. Poor Ross also developed panostitis in the front and back legs, which is basically a growing pain which affects the long bones, though self limiting by 24 months, Ross just didn't get it easy! 
Ross has been lame on his front right intermittently throughout his life but it has never really bothered him, he's a happy soul, full of fun and mischief. Whilst looking back I was really pleased to see that my last post about his limp was in December 2021. I had just started him on glucosamine and chondroitin then and I was really concerned about his stiffness at such a young age. Wow over a year ago, and I have no memory of any stiffness or limp in the last year - these pills took a bit of time but they must have helped. There are still Kong rules, no more than three throws on a walk as the braking to stop no doubt aggravated the problem, still it's always in his mouth and he charges around like a mad man. 
Ross was not the easiest of puppies, a few times I honestly could have put him on the bus back to Suffolk. He was pushy and headstrong, as a teenager his teeth made contact with my arm twice in a challenge, but I didn't back down and thankfully I won the war. Such a pratt of a puppy, such a wonderful easy adult! I'm really worried that I've made the wrong decision about the neutering, but it's not a decision I've come to lightly and in my head it makes sense. At his age I can't see it affecting his personality, though I do hope it increases his appetite! Today he hasn't eaten a thing yet, he rejected breakfast and will never drop his Kong for a treat like the others get on a walk - it's not because Kaiah is in season, it's just who he is, often his bedtime bonio is still there in the morning. Because of his elbow, I don't want him fat, but as you can see from this photo, I would like a bit more of a covering on him. 
With the decision made to neuter Ross I've been asked why not Loki and Zeus too? Well with Loki there simply is no need, though he can be grumpy with Ross he's no bother really. I think it's more complex with Zeus, he's not as confident in his own skin as the other boys. I think removing his testosterone would be unwise, I fear doing it may cause him to develop nervous aggression. Not only have I done some research, but I saw it first hand in rescue. 
"Links between neutering and anxious behaviour appear more conclusive and consistent than aggression, with published evidence suggesting neutering is not an appropriate strategy for reducing anxious responses and may magnify anxious and fearful tendencies. "