Saturday 14 January 2023

Pepsi Pups

Well the family have arrived, Pepsi had been scanned at 35 days and the owner told she was expecting a "small litter," of about four. Last night when I went to bed there was 6, 3 bitches, born first, and 3 dogs, wonderful, I guess you can see how 2 puppies can hide, but the news this morning is that there are eight puppies.  For the life of me, I can't see how you can miss half a litter? I actually do also feel a little self-satisfaction, as she had told Anne (the owner) that the reason for the small litter was because we'd mated too early. I beg to differ as Pepsi tested 12 on Friday morning, she could well have ovulated late Friday, but in to Saturday at the latest, she was mated on Sunday afternoon and the sperm takes approx 6 hrs to reach the eggs - the optimal time for mating is 48 hrs after ovulation, well we weren't far out were we!