Sunday 15 January 2023

In The House

Of course it's dry, bright and not too cold, where are we? Stuck in the house. I must admit my mobility has improved as the morning wore on, but I'm still struggling and very nervous of exasperating the situation again. This is not sciatica, I've had that before and whilst this was painfully enough to keep me awake for most of the night, it's not as debilitating as sciatica was.
I've just been given the sad news that it's likely that Sammi's sister has DM."There is no specific test to diagnose DM while a patient is living. Several tests may need to be performed to rule out other potential spinal cord diseases. Testing may include a neurological exam, blood work, X-rays, MRI or CT scan, and spinal fluid analysis." All I can do is offer support as I know this condition is progressive and some sadly progress quicker than others. The exon 1 test is now available, but it only tests for 1 of the genes responsible for DM, it's hard to know whether it would benefit her owners to test, or not. Kaiah, Orin and Siska are clear, so theoretically Sammi is not affected or Orin and Kaiah would be carriers. Of course with the test only recently available Nico and Ziva were not tested so some of Sammi's siblings could be affected, and now as the "I" litter are 9 years old this diseases could well rear its ugly head.
The situation between Ross and Orin has settled - so now we'll wait and see if there are benefits to my actions!