Saturday 24 July 2021

Measuring Zeus

Well that's me upset now. After measuring Orin, out of curiosity I decided to measure Zeus. I walked into the kitchen with the measuring stick and got my usual Zeus greeting. Thinking nothing of it I placed the stick on his back, not only did he cower but he peed himself. OMG, What the? Being careful not to upset him further I quickly mopped up the pee with a kitchen roll and tried to sound as unbothered as possible. "It's Ok mate no worries." I placed the stick on the floor and called him over, we chatted quietly and I raised the stick up gently leaning it on his back. He put his head so low that his nose touched the floor. Gradually I started to stroke under his chin and neck so that he relaxed, and he did, well a little. I repeated the exercise 2 or 3 times and then left him to it.
When I went back into the kitchen he seemed tense and wouldn't come over to the area where he had weed, I said nothing, I just let him out into the garden and used some Safe4 on the floor. We've only just got him to wee in the garden, I really don't want to make a fuss over it and have to start walking him at all hours again. Anyway, he seems over it now but what an over reaction, why on earth would he react like that to a measuring stick which simply leans on his wither? 
Since Zeus has been here he has been so happy, he's never shown aggression or malice, but this is the second time that he's reacted badly to something. (Remember the bucket incident?) I just can't fathom it, why the hell would he react like that? He trusts Steve and I in all other situation, nothing is an issue here, he really is a happy dog, an absolute pleasure. 
I guess now we'll have to measure him, say once a week, get him to realise no stick will ever hurt him. Try and get him relaxed around it, get it to be everyday life. He's so lovely, constantly happy and bubbly so I am upset about the incident - no dog should be that worried that he pees himself, should they? 
By the way, he is 63.5cms - so bang on medium size - Nico size